Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mixed Dal


When we talk about Dal, mostly we think either Dal Fry, Dal Makhani or Simple Pili Dal. But now I am talking about a Dal, which is little bit different than others i.e., Mixed Dal. In fact this idea came to mind accidently. I can still remember that night, when my husband wanted me to cook some Moong Dal. Unfortunately, there were very little Moong dal available in the kitchen, not enough for cooking. All of sudden it just click to my mind to try a special Dal. So what I did, I mix four different Dals together. Believe me it was one my best experience ever. When I served this Mix Dal with dinner, my husband really liked it very much and wants me to cook this Dal at least once in a week. Now we cook it quite often. Here is the recipe in case you want to try…

Ingredients:-
·         Toor Dal – ½ Cup
·         Moong Dal – ½ Cup
·         Masoor Dal – ½ Cup
·         ChanaDal – ½ Cup
·         Tomatoes(Chopped) – 2 (Medium)
·         Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
·         Salt as per taste
·        
Tadka:
·         Onion(Chopped) – 2 (Medium)
·         Green Chilies (Chopped) – 2 (if you want spicy you can add more)
·         Ginger(Minced) – 1 inch Piece
·         Garlic Cloves(Minced) - 2
·         Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
·         Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
·         Asfoetida (Hing) – A Pinch
·         Sambhar Powder – ¼ tsp
·         Few Curry Leaves
·         Cooking Oil – 2 tbsp
·         Coriander Leaves -  For Garnishing
Preparation Method:-
Ø  Put all the Dals together in a Pressure Cooker and fry for two minutes.
Ø  Add Water; Chopped Tomatoes; Turmeric Powder; Salt and cook till 3 whistles.

For Tadka:-
Ø  Heat Oil in a Pan; add Mustard Seeds; Cumin Seeds; Hing and when they crackles
Ø  Add Curry Leaves; Chopped Green Chili; Minced Ginger; Minced Garlic and sauté for 1 min.
Ø  Add Chopped Onion and sauté till light brown.
Ø  Add this “Tadka” in the prepared Dal.
Ø  Then Add Sambhar Powder and cook till the Dal absorbs the mixture.
Ø  Now the “Mixed Dal” is ready. Finally garnish with Coriander Leaves.

1 comment: